Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Snowman Jar Cozy - Crochet Version

A few weeks ago I shared a knitting project I had made called "Snowman Jar Cozy" using a free pattern from Red Heart's website.  You can read about that project here.   It was such a fun project that I thought crocheters needed their own pattern for a snowman jar cozy and I came up with this one in order to share the fun.  :)


 
Snowman Jar Cozy

Materials:
Red Heart Worsted Weight Acrylic Yarn
  - Soft White
Assorted buttons for eyes, nose and mouth (Red Heart's design uses buttons for the eyes and felt for the nose and mouth pieces)
Round Glass Jar/Vase - 5 1/2" tall & 15" around middle (I got mine at Joann's in the floral dept)
Size H (5.00mm) Crochet Hook
Hot Glue Gun

Row 1) Ch 19, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch st across, ch 1, turn. (18 sc)

Rows 2 - 36) Sc in the back loop of each st across, ch 1, turn. (18 sc)

End off, leaving a long tail for stitching.

 Finished stitch piece will look like this:
 
Fold over and whipstitch edges together:
 
 



Face Finishing:
I found my carrot nose button at Joann's, and then just raided my button box for buttons to make the eyes and mouth features.  When I made the knitted version, I stitched all the buttons on, but found this to be difficult, especially when the cozy wasn't stretched out over the jar.  On this crocheted version, I first slipped the cozy onto the glass jar/vase.  I then put small pieces of doubled-over scotch tape on the back of each button, then I positioned all the buttons onto the cozy to form the face features, adjusting as needed, until I had them where I wanted them.  I then pulled off each button one at a time, removed the tape from the back,  then hot glued the button back into place.

Fill with Candy!  (I recommend Peppermints or Candy Canes!)  :)
 

12 comments:

pattas said...

An eye catching jar cover. Thankyou for sharing :))

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Love it!!!! Now where are those crochet hooks?

Ali said...

This is just lovely. I can imagine it filled with candy canes, wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.
Ali x

Sandy said...

Definitely making one of these too! Thanks so much for making a crochet version :)

Thimbleanna said...

Very Cute Doni! I love that you can translate a knitting pattern into a crochet pattern!

Annette said...

That looks so great Doni..
Often more I see pattern that need to be crochet in back loops.. never done it befoe for a whole pattern..
But this effect looks so great!!
Love it.. thank you so much for the pattern

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love a snowman in each shape or form. :) Best wishes and happy holidays! Tammy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EndlessDays said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EndlessDays said...

Great idea, will have to make a few of these for in-laws for Christmas...we all try to give each other something we created. Thank you.

Melanie said...

Thanks for the crochet pattern for this. I really wanted to make the knitted one when I saw the Red Heart pattern but I didn't have any DPNs. This is great!

TheHappyCook65 said...

This is just what I needed! With yarn on sale this week I can make several of these. I plan on getting the jars at The Dollar Tree and using them as Christmas gifts for my neighbors. I always try to make them some little something. After I get the jar and the crocheting done I will fill them with candies for a sweet treat! Thank you so much for sharing!