Monday, January 3, 2011

2011....Year of the Sock Yarn Stash Reduction

My Sock Yarn Stash


Several years ago, I took a sock knitting class at my LYS and was immediately hooked, and socks became one of my all time favorite things to knit.  I quickly accumulated a stash of sock yarn, but with other projects always seeming to take priority, I didn't get very many socks made.  I've been inspired by what I've been reading online about the "Self-Imposed-Sock Club" started  by the Yarn Harlot and decided that 2011 would be the year I would make a dent in my sock yarn stash.  I'm not quite as organized as the Yarn Harlot and others, where the goal is to have the yarn matched up with a pattern and stored in a ziploc baggie, one for each month of the year. I'm going to decide as I go what pattern and yarn I will use.   And since some of my sock yarn is of the "non-washable wool" nature, I'm hoping to find other items to make with those, other than socks.  Learned that lesson the hard way after knitting a few pairs of socks that now need to be hand-washed.  They make lovely socks, but since I don't enjoy having to hand-wash them, I rarely wear them.

After counting my stash, it appears that I have enough yarn for approx 37 pairs of socks.  At one pair of socks per month, this endeavor could take me 3 years to complete.  I guess I better get started!  :)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

My foot size is a 9.5 :)

hehehe Good luck with your projects!! :)

Amy B said...

I look forward to seeing pics of your finished socks!!!

Thimbleanna said...

Ouch! Good luck with your progress. I'd been really good about not buying much more than I would knit until last year. And then people started giving me yarn for gifts too. I need to follow your lead or my stash will soon be out of control!